british flag button - english version of castello di celsa website british flag button - english version of castello di celsa website

Castello di Celsa

Surrounding Areas By Car

Some of the most beautiful and famous places in Tuscany can be reached in less than an hour by car, departing from Celsa

Siena, 17km: A city that contended with Florence for supremacy over the area until until 1400, famous for its Piazza del Campo (where the “Palio” is held every year on the 2nd July and 16th August), its Cathedral that wasn't completed because of the pest, the baptistery, the Pinacoteca and important frescos by Simone Martini

Colle Val d'Elsa, 18km: The City of Crystal is the native town of Arnolfo di Cambio, with a beautiful Medieval city.  The new part of the city displays contemporary architecture by Giovanni Michelucci and Jean Nouvel.

Monteriggioni, 18km: A small Medieval town, with the famous towers that Dante cites in the Divine Comedy, that has preserved its character original.

San Gimignano, 32km: A Medieval city whose centre is patrimony of UNESCO, famous for its numerous towers that were constantly raised as a symbol of the wealth of the families that had them built and is characterized by its skyline that's recognizable even from a long distance, its churches and frescoes.

Abbazia di San Galgano, 38km: The Abbazia from the Order of Cistercians is highly suggestive and is right next to the Chapel of Montesiepi, famous for the sword in the stone.

Volterra, 47km: The city was build on an Etruscan settlement and developed until 1400 is famous for its alabaster, for its Dome, Baptistery, the Etruscan Museum, the Priory Palace and the military fortifications during the Etruscan and Medici periods.

Firenze, 70: The Cathedral with Brunelleschi's Dome, Giotto’s Bell Tower, the gallery of the Uffizi, Piazza della Signoria, Michelangelo's David, Botticelli's Venus, the Gardens of Boboli: just some of the sight you can see when you visit what's know as the “Cradle of the Renaissance”.

Pienza, 73km: A modest borough until 1462 when it was completely rebuilt and remodelled, bringing it to a current state during the period of Pope Pio II Piccolomini.  It took 4 years to complete Bernardo Rossellino's project, creating a harmonious little city typical of the fifteenth century.